Sunday, September 13, 2015

Why you don't want to borrow my car keys...

So I told this story to a coworker this week and she laughed heartily at me, so I thought I'd tell it here too.

A few months ago, I changed jobs. During my very first week on the job, there was a three day long campus-wide management training. Our college has three campuses, so each day of training was held at a different campus to allow each campus to host and allow each campus one day of not driving long distance. So the first day was at a campus I'd been to, and I didn't really have any issues getting there. The second day was at my home campus. The third day was at a campus that I'd never been to.
I have a tendency to grab an energy drink when I get gas and drink it while I'm driving. The driving directions indicated it was only going to be 1hr 10min, but it took slightly longer. So the drive to the campus was uneventful, but I was rushed as I made the last turn into campus and didn't notice that I missed the turn for the building I was looking for.

Remember that energy drink I mentioned? I pulled into the parking lot and desperately needed to find a bathroom. I really didn't want to be late for my training and I was cutting it close. I didn't see the building I was looking for, but saw a bathroom on one building and decided to hurry up and use it before getting back on the road to go into the other entrance (the parking lots were not connected).
I rushed into the bathroom and only brought my car keys with me. I didn't have any pants pockets, so I set the keys on the back of the toilet while I did my business. I flushed, went to grab my car keys, and knocked them directly into the swirling toilet bowl.

I was going to be late for my training; I had no choice and no time to think. I plunged my hand into the flushing toilet and retrieved my keys.

I quickly washed my hands and keys at the sink, but had to race to my car and go. I arrived at my training at 8:03, and quickly found a seat.

So there I was, at my training, surrounded by a bunch of people who didn't know me that well. I had just had this serious adrenaline rush/panic because of this hilarious and stupid thing that happened and I could tell no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment